By Owen Yang
, June 02, 2017
Honestly my experience here was overall very smooth and I would recommend it, assuming their prices haven't increased too much. I've never once had any problems with management, maintenance, or any other employees, and every interaction I've had has been pleasant. The location is amazing, the amenities are pretty solid, and I even had a great view of the stadium! I was lucky to live in one of the remodeled apartments (not sure what the others are like) and although it was petite, it had granite countertops, A/C, was furnished (albeit with clearly used furniture), decent-sized bedrooms (with mirrors to make them feel bigger). All for $880/mo + elec for a 2BR/1BA.
I do have a couple complaints though. First, the WiFi could be a bit spotty at times, though it may have more to do with coverage than reliability (I only had problems in my bedroom, never in my living room). Either way, I'd recommend they install some WiFi range extenders (especially toward the ends of the halls)!
Second, my cold water would occasionally lose pressure and regain pressure a few seconds later. I'm not sure if this is because I was on the top floor, but it was somewhat irritating. Never seemed to happen with hot water though.
I really think some of the other reviews are unjustified so here are some of my responses:
1. Read your lease. Most of the reviews that complain about unfairness are people who didn't read their lease.
2. Pay your rent on time (see #1). I'm not sure why you would expect anything other than late fee(s) when you pay late. They even give you a 48-hour grace period. You're all adults.
3. Ann Arbor is expensive to live in, get over it. Please show me a cheaper place around campus with the same amenities, quality, and location as U-Towers. I lived in Park Plaza for a year as well and paid more than I did in U-Towers for a relatively subpar apartment and an extremely subpar management company. Sure, if you compare your rent to your friend's or parent's, it might seem high at first. Do they live 2 blocks from central campus? Have a gym and pool in their building? Package receiving? 24 hour front desk?
4. This really seems like a rather minor issue, but the coffee machine was not out of service THAT much. There was a stretch of a couple weeks when the machine seemed to be having issues, but other than that it's almost always been available. Frankly I was personally more interested in the free tea. Either way, I don't think this could make or break my decision to live here...
5. I was here during the laundry room fire too. I was annoyed too. I really don't see how it was U-Towers' fault though. Clean the lint trap before you dry!
See Google+ Reviews